Rain on a Tin Roof

Mayhem and Music. A paradox of sound. Sad, yet hopeful. Always beautiful.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mississippi, United States

Broken . . . Mended . . . A work in progress.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Fill the Jars with Water

I'm journaling this for my own sake. But you may benefit from it as well. I'm trying to capture the ideas as fast as they are coming to me, so this isn't going to be very fluid or verbose. I just don't want to miss what God is saying to me right now.
John 2:1-11.
The place - A wedding reception that is about to end prematurely because there is no more wine.
The people - Mary, Jesus, servants, master of the banquet
Mary remarks to Jesus about the state of the reception. She then tells the servants to be ready.

Jesus tells the servants to fill six stone jars with 30 gallons of water each. That's 180 gallons! Heavy! Tedious! How far do they have to walk to get the water? How many of them are there to carry the jars? Why doesn't Jesus make it easy on them and materialize the wine without them having to haul anything?

Pascal calls it the dignity of causality. God ALLOWS us to take part in His miracles. He doesn't need our assistance, but He delights to delegate responsibility to us so we can take active part in something He is doing. Wow!

This is powerful to me because I am at a dried up wedding in my life right now. My church, by whom I am employed, is struggling to survive. I want to leave the wedding and find a more fun place to hang out! But God has given me the responsibility, NAY, the privelege of filling jars of water. I don't know how long it is going to take. But I know the end result will be a miracle of fullness, joy, and provision. What will I do - leave the wedding? Or fill the jars with water?

Hmmmm.

Thanks to Helen and Peter Lee, Ministers at Korean First Baptist Church of Dallas for this word.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home