Rain on a Tin Roof

Mayhem and Music. A paradox of sound. Sad, yet hopeful. Always beautiful.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mississippi, United States

Broken . . . Mended . . . A work in progress.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

What's bugging you?


I'm paralyzed lately by this crazy need to make an itinerary before I do anything. In school, before I studied, I had to have my room clean. And before going on a trip, I have always made a list of the clothes I might want to take. But I mean, lately, it's been borderline obsessive-compulsive. I make schedules for the day in ten minute increments. I make a menu of what I will eat for the day and how each meal breaks down in servings of protein, carbs, dairy, etc. I flip to my day planner every few minutes or so as though I'm about to miss some important meeting or task.

I have read that people deal with interruptions in their lives in one of three ways: they super-organize; they let things lapse and get really chaotic and messy; they roll with it without getting too flustered. Guess which one I am.

But the list making, which is supposed to keep me on task and aware of things I should be doing, is actually getting in the way of my productivity. I curl up behind some scrap piece of paper and dream of how the day ought to go. I make budgets for our home expenditures on a daily basis because there's always something we forgot to account for, or something that costs more than we expected, or I was too optimistic in how we'd spend our gas money. (Ha!)

So what do you do? How do you cope with the unexpected? I don't really live according to my schedule or budget. But I am compelled to keep making them. Why!!!

That's just something that's bugging me lately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home